I can’t believe the year is half over. Summer is flying by!
For any new readers just joining us, I track my family’s monthly expenses. Below is the tally for June 2009:
- $1038.54 – Mortgage
- $664.10 – Health Insurance
- $618.00 – Daycare
- $311.25 – Groceries
- $215.00 – Student Loan
- $173.34 -Hair Care
- $107.77 – Medical
- $83.97 – Electric
- $81.69 – Tennis
- $81.06 – Dinning Out
- $69.62 – Phone/Internet
- $65.79 – Household Misc
- $56.94 – Cosmetics
- $54.77 – Dog
- $53.32 – Utilities
- $52.02 – Kid’s Care
- $46.34 – Kid’s Fun
- $39.29 – Gas
- $37.54 – Books
- $30.74 – 4th of July Party
- $27.00 – Donations
- $9.51 – Video Rentals
- $8.88 – Clothes
Total Expense = $3917.59
YEAY!!! We finally met our goal of being under $4,000!
Biggest Budget Busters:
- $1038.54 – Mortgage – I normally pay $830/month, but my escrow account was too low, so I had to pay in a little extra. I’ll write more about this in another post.
- $173.34 -Hair Care – I wish I could say that this is all for Mrs DD. But it’s not, half of it is for me. I use Nioxin products and they are pretty spendy.
- $107.77 – Medical – I’m putting this one here because $60 of this is for an eye exam for Mrs DD. She only went because I was convinced that she was near sighted. But the Dr. said she is A-OK. Whoopsie.
Biggest Budget Breakthroughs:
- $311.25 – Groceries – Yet another all time low in this category. Not that long ago we were close to $500/month.
- $65.79 – Household Misc – After reading the comments from my “what is misc?” post, I decided that I’d try to narrow this down a little. That’s why there are a few new categories this time (cosmetics, kids care).
- $39.29 – Gas – Thanks to the nice weather which lets me ride my bike everywhere, we only had to fill up the van once this month.
It’s hard to believe but I have been writing for The Happy Rock for a year now. That means I finally have 12 months of figures to play with.
Let’s have some fun with the numbers!
- We’ve spent a total of $51,036.90 in the past 12 months. YOWSERS!
- 20% of that went towards our mortgage ($10,168.54)
- 16.5% of our expenses has gone to daycare ($8,449)
- 15.5% was spent on either Health Insurance or Medical bills (last 6 months)
- 12.2% ($6,232.02)was spent on food (groceries & dinning out)
- We love spending money on the dog ($550.85), but we love spending it on Tennis even more ($552.44).
- An example of life in South Dakota…Our lowest electric bill – $83.97(June). Our highest – $484.69(Jan).
- We’ve spent more on our hair ($350.73) than we did on clothes($313.36). Unless you also include shoes ($224.11).
- We spent $197.86 on Books, Magazines, Movies,and Videos. And $180 on Pearl Jam alone!!!
How come I’m not surprised we spent more than normal
I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to people nit-picking my consumer choices. But now that I’ve been doing it awhile I find it quite valuable. Not only does it help me with accountability, but I also get loads of helpful advice from you guys. I thank you for that.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve really enjoyed the last 12 months. I’m planning on running a series of “Follow ups” to give some updates on a few previous issues that I have written about.
Do you have any requests?
Until next time,