My answer was:
The household misc category is made up of misc items.
It’s stuff like: toilet paper, bug spray, diapers, toothpaste, batteries, postage stamps, small appliances, paper towels, wasp & hornet killer…and anything else that I’m too lazy to separate out.
But to tell you the truth I had no idea what that months misc items were. So I thought I’d provide the breakdown for May of the misc category so I could really see where our money was going.
According to May’s Expense report, we spent $305.52 on “household misc” stuff. Let’s break that down shall we:
- $75.29 – Foam for couch repair job
- $36.11 – Lawn Supplies
- $27.91 – Bug Spray
- $27.76 – Cosmetics
- $23.99 – Party Supplies
- $16.15 – Vitamins
- $15.82 – Greeting Cards
- $12.70 – Toilet Paper
- $11.12 – Toys & Games
- $10.59 – Furnace Filter
- $10.15 – Diapers
- $8.47 – Toy Bin
- $8.43 – Useful stuff (WD40 & Goo-B-Gone)
- $8.36 – Benadryl
- $5.83 – Clifford Movie
- $5.37 – Candy & Treats
- $1.47 – Bottle of Pop
Add them all up and you see how we spent over $300 in misc expenses in May.
Actually I shouldn’t get too down on ourselves. Some of this stuff was worth it:
- $75.29 – Foam for couch repair job – I already bragged about how my wife used this to make our couch much more comfortable. So I’m not going to poo-poo this one.
- $27.91 – Bug Spray – This total represents most shipping. I read a review for some new “eco-friendly” bug spray at The Greenest Dollar. I’m not a big fan of spraying Deet all over my family, so I’d thought I try it out.
- $23.99 – Party Supplies – We don’t throw many parties, so when we do we go big! And with a budget nearing $25 you can imagine the shin dig we had.
Really the only stuff I see that is wasteful are the toy related items and treats (Candy & Pop). The greeting cards are a little high as well, but we made a bunch of homemade cards this month so I don’t feel too bad about it. Every once in a while I like to throw Hallmark a bone for making such good movies.
So there you have it. That is what I call miscellaneous stuff. What do you consider miscellaneous?
Until next time,