Can you believe it’s June already?
Time is flying by. As most of you know I track my family’s expenses. Here is the tally for May:
- $989.40 – Auto Repairs
- $830.00 – Mortgage
- $664.10 – Health Insurance
- $615.00 – Daycare
- $496.43 – Groceries
- $325.00 – Preschool Down Payment
- $305.52 – Household Misc
- $205.00 – Student Loan
- $179.59 – Shoes (new tennis shoes & summer kid shoes)
- $173.84 – Park & Rec Classes
- $168.95 – Electricity
- $167.94 – Contacts (6 months)
- $134.30 – Gas
- $124.23 – Gifts (Mother’s Day, Graduation, B-Days)
- $116.64 – Clothing
- $75.00 – Fun Kid stuff (Chucky Cheese, Zoo, Horse Races)
- $70.20 – Phone & Internet
- $61.91 – Dinning Out
- $57.93 – Dog Food
- $53.32 – Utilities (water, sewer, garbage)
- $51.99 – Tree
- $40.00 – Medical
- $4.00 – Powerball
Total Damage = $5910.29
I chuckle when I see this total. I figure it’s better to chuckle than to cry.
Last month I said I wanted to be around the $4000 level. We were doing fine until mid month when the wheels fell off. Then it got really bad when I had our van’s A/C fixed at the end of the month.
Biggest Budget Busters:
- $989.40 – Auto Repairs – I’ve already went on about this long enough. It’s just part of vehicle ownership. At least I’ll be riding in comfort on those hot summer days.
- $496.43 – Groceries – This looks bad, but about 40% of this is from a party we threw. Every five years or so we throw a big backyard bash…You’re all invited in 2014 for the next one.
- $305.52 – Household Misc – Last month I was asked what makes up “Household Misc”, I think I’ll break this out in it’s own post.
Biggest Budget Breakthroughs:
- $325.00 – Preschool Down Payment – It may seem strange to put this in the breakthrough category, but I think in the long run this will end up saving us big time. I’ll explain further in a future post.
- $51.99 – Tree – Again, this is listed here because I’m looking forward to enjoying the future benefits of this for years to come. I’m told that in 5 years our patio will have shade.
- $4.00 Powerball – I didn’t win the grand prize, but I did triple my money ($12.00)
Even when you take out the van repair bill, it was still a very disappointing month. But that’s the great thing about tracking your expenses…
Every month is a fresh start.
Until next time,