Yesterday, I replaced all four tires on my 1994 Nissan Sentra at my local Costco to the tune of $245. First I had to decide if I wanted to put that much money into a care that isn’t worth much more that $500, but that is a post in and of itself. Ultimately tires aren’t something you want to skimp and cut corners on because they are integral to your cars safety.
*Update(1/09) – I have also had a bad experience with buying from Costco and was quite happy with TireRack.com.
Now, why Costco you ask?
- Best price around. I did my homework and they were able to give me the best price even without any coupon or specials. The quoted price was $305. This is the same price that it would have cost at Tire Rack a popular direct tire website. Through Tire Rack the off brand import tires would have been cheaper at $203($31 shipping), but the installation would have cost ~$102 more at my local Sunoco.
- Specials. Costco often runs ads in their monthly mailer and web site for $60 off a set of four or buy four get one free. Here is the deal that is running in June 2008.
- Free services. “Lifetime services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (Some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs.” *
- Name brand Michelin X Radial Tire for $55 a piece.
- Tires filed with nitrogen for free. This is what the green cap on the valve stem means. Consumer Reports magazine published data on a nitrogen experiment. Tires filled with nitrogen lost less pressure than those with air, losing 2.2 pounds a square inch per year, compared with 3.5 for air.” **
- Free Road Hazard Warranty – Click here for more details.
- Good service. You have to go on off hours since they only do first come first serve, but the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.
- In stock and no wait. Costco has most tire types in stock and you don’t have to wait for shipping as you would with tire direct web sites.
- I already have history with them when they were the lowest price($800) on a set of 18 inch tire for our Nissan Murano.
The service took a little longer than expected. It was closer to 2 hours rather than the hour they quoted, but the boys and I made do at the shopping center. It is amazing how much different a car feels with brand new quality tire on it. So next time you need tires, be sure to check out the local Costco for a price comparison if you have on.
*** That is my little junker with the donut tire!