Recently we started buying regular carrots instead of the organic baby variety that we have loved for many years. I must admit the idea wasn’t mine; it was something I became willing to experiment with after reading this wonderful article from Andrea Dickson over at Wise Bread. The article gives a really interesting history of the baby carrots and than shares her experiences. I won’t share too much, because the article is worth the read.
What I will do is relay our experiences with regular carrots. This is what we have noticed :
- Savings. The price is about half the cost of baby carrots.
- Taste. Regular carrots taste better.
- Texture. I actually find the dry raw qualities of the regular carrot more enjoyable.
- Last longer. Instead of getting slimy and gross after only a few days, regular carrots stay dry and crisp for a lot longer. The carrots seems to last even longer if you buy carrots with the leaves still on.
- Not as much work cutting and peeling as I thought. It takes only a minute or two to make a whole batch of crunchy sticks.
- Healthier. More beta carotene. Source
Don’t be scared, give them a try next time you are at the store. You will get more carrot for your money, and better product to boot.