My wife and I are struggling to cancel the cable once again. We talk about it every time our Comcast bill goes back to normal price. We have internet + digital cable + DVR for about $122 a month. I usually call and tell them I am going to cancel, and they start offering some deals. I never take the first deal or two, and usually end up negotiating to a price to around $85/month for about a year. I have actually been paying full price for way too long now. Why?, because I really want to cancel cable. I am scared that I will call and renegotiate rather than actually canceling. Once that is done I will probably settle in for another year. So instead, I am ‘wasting’ $40 dollars a month, because I can’t pull the trigger(but want to). I need help. My wife and I both are willing to go for it, but neither of us has been motivated to action. If we wait until fall, when new episodes of Lost, Heroes, and the Office come back on, we will be sunk. With that said, here is the plan…
First, I did a little research for ammunition and motivation. I will share the highlights of that research in an upcoming post.
Step two is where you, the reader, come in. I hope to use The Happy Rock to get some feedback, success and failure stories, advice, and motivation. Here is what I am looking for :
- I know most of us cringe or rebel when we entertain the thought of ditching cable, so let me know why I should keep it.
- For those that were bolder them I am, let me know how getting rid of cable has worked, or not worked.
- Possible alternatives. The family would only really miss a few shows, no more then ten : The Office, Lost, Heroes, So You Think You Can Dance, etc… I was thinking about Apple TV as a replacement for cable. A half dozen series passes would be much cheaper than the $700 plus it costs for cable. Any other options?
- Kick in the butt, slap in the face. Tell me I am a wimp, wasting money, time, whatever.
- Anything else I am missing?
Step Three : Cancel the cable, or keep cable and negotiate a deal again. My research shows canceling cable will save us a lot more than just money.
Share that wisdom! PLEASE.