I go to the vending machine maybe once a month. Each time it gets more and more painful knowing that the item is has such a huge markup(I still buy). I realize that am paying for my lack of planning and laziness. Let’s take a look at how much we are paying for convenience.
I compared the price of a couple items out that could be purchased at Costco or Sam’s club to the $0.80 cents that you would pay in a vending machine.
- $0.138 cents for Austin’s Crackers – 580% more in a vending machine
- $0.226 cents for Microwave Popcorn – 354% more in a vending machine
- $0.38 cents for 3 Musketteers – Better, but still 210% more in a vending machine
- $0.709 cents for a 20 oz. Pepsi – 176% more in a vending machine at $1.25
- Just for fun, $0.0226 cents for gum balls – 1109% more
If you were to buy a soda and a pack of crackers just three days a week, you would be spending 320$ a year. This is almost $200 more a year than buying it yourself. Is $200 worth changing your habits to visit Sam’s or BJs a few times a year? This isn’t even taking into consideration the fact that if we put just a little upfront planning in, we would probably make better choices than a Mountain Dew and a pack of Peanut M&Ms. Some people even take it a step further and capitalize on the situation by having their own mini-snack stores.
Are you vending too much?